Hello my Friends on this, the last day of 2012! I’ve just returned from Tulum, Mexico where I spent an amazing week’s vacation on a beautiful beach and had the good fortune to take a couple of oceanside yoga classes with Sandra Van Olmen. Sandra is not just a yoga instructor, leading you through the various poses and taking up an hour long slot of the Dreams resort’s varied activities schedule; she is a former world class athlete, a trained shaman, a spiritual leader and a truly inspirational individual. Her sessions are so much more than guidance through the poses–they are a celebration of what it means to be human and a sixty-minute exploration of how to live a fulfilled life as our higher selves. She is a gifted and multi-lingual story-teller, lyrically shifting between spanish and english, and a woman in touch with her own heart, mind and body. As she finishes with an image-filled guided meditation, you are left wondering how the hour went by so fast. What a unique surprise to find this person amidst all the food, mojitos, ocean walks and beach volleyball! Thank you, Sandra. You have really given me a special gift as this year closes and the new one is about to begin.
But even before I left for my vacation, I was thinking about how to ring in the new year here at 52 Mondays and I put a question up on Facebook asking my friends: If you could give someone one bit of advice on how to have a better quality of life, what would it be? Returning now and reading through the replies, I am so deeply touched by how much we all really know about living a fulfilled life as our higher selves. On this last day of the year, I thought I’d give you the beautiful and, yes, unsolicited, bits of advice that came from some of the wonderful people I have the good fortune to call my friends.
- Sleep more.
- Say thank you.
- Remember Karma.
- Allow yourself to be happy–remember that happiness surrounds us.
- Be true to yourself and don’t “fake it.”
- Participate in acts of kindness and exercise.
- Be honest.
- Don’t worry about what others think.
- Think positively, follow your heart, find beauty in all things, and breathe.
- Slow down and “turn off the power.”
- Eliminate toxic, bitter people from your life.
- Don’t watch the news.
- Play with your kids–play HARD.
- Lay it down- your life that is. Don’t try to control every moment of it. Take and enjoy what has been given to you. Stay in constant contact with the Divine for the, “what next?”
- Find the positive in everything you can.
- Get good nutrition.
- Live with integrity.
- Make time to read.
- Live in the moment. Be conscious.
- Practice gratitude.
- Count your blessings as a gift to be opened each day.
- LOVE: Love art, love nature, love animals, other people, and even humans that you don’t know.; Love working, solving, giving, and even being bored …. Love life and all of its routines, its tiny triumphs, and yes, even the difficulties and disasters ….. because to notice the mundane and the profound ups and downs are all part of gratitude and a lust for life.
- Follow your heart and don’t listen to advice.
It’s all the things I love, but honestly, I couldn’t have said any of this better myself. Let me just take this opportunity to say how absolutely grateful I am to be able to receive such beautiful words–not only from these people but from all the people who come to this blog each week, leave comments, send emails and tell me in person that they value what appears here on Mondays. You inspire me. So, here’s wishing all of you, my dear, sweet readers and friends, the most joyous of new years full of blessings for you and the people you love. And, please, if you feel that you’d like to add to this terrific list of thoughts and things that can bring us into our higher selves, please do! As far as I’m concerned, this is the kind of advice I can never get enough of!
A Happy, Happy New Year to everyone!
TRY THIS WEEK: Give some good advice. To yourself.